DENVER (KDVR) — Runners of all speeds strapped on their running shoes and grabbed their bibs to compete in the 16th annual Colfax Denver Marathon.
Denver’s biggest running event took place on Sunday, May 15, and saw more than 30,000 runners in the Mile High City.
Runners started and finished at Denver City Park while reaching places like Empower Field at Mile High, Denver Fire Station No. 1 and along seven miles of rivers, lakes and bridges. Runners also got to race down America’s longest main street, Colfax Avenue.
The marathon is not only a popular event in Denver, it’s also one of the county’s top 25 marathon weekends. Runners who put their skills to the test were able to qualify for the Boston Marathon, as the Colfax Marathon counts as a qualifying race for the World Marathon Major.
As runners sprinted to the finish line, six people were the top male and female winners of the half marathon and full marathon.
Male marathon winners:
- Tyler McCandless, 35, of Fort Collins finished with a time of 2:21:07
- Zebulon Hanley, 30, of Louisville finished with a time of 2:30:40
- Anthony Bruns, 42, of Denver finished with a time of 2:32:47
Female marathon winners:
- Sarah Villasenor, 37, of Denver finished with a time of 3:02:51
- Sarah Bay, 43, from Niwot finished with a time of 3:05:17
- Janie Nabholz, 22, finished with a time of 3:09:23
Male Half Marathon Winners:
- Francis Miaraho, 22, of Colorado Springs finished with a time of 1:08:09
- Patrick Rizzo, 38, of Kingston Springs, Tennessee, finished with a time of 1:09:24
- Alexander Diltz, 29, of Boulder finished with a time of 1:10:48
Women’s Half Marathon Winners:
- Atsede Baysa, 35, of Colorado Springs finished with a time of 1:14:50
- Stevie Kremer, 38, of Crested Butte finished with a time of 1:20:49
- Holly McKinney, 26, of Denver finished with a time of 1:23:27
Not only did Tyler McCandless win the Colfax Marathon with a time of 2:21:07, but he also broke the marathon record. McCandless broke the record by over three minutes.
For more information on Denver’s biggest race, visit the Colfax Marathon website.
Suggest a fix